If you are a digital nomad looking for a new destination to work and live in, Cartagena might be the perfect place for you. This vibrant city in Colombia offers a unique combination of rich history, tropical weather, and a growing community of like-minded individuals. In this article, we will explore the reasons why Cartagena might be the best city for digital nomads and what it has to offer.
The charm of Cartagena
Cartagena is a charming city located on the Caribbean coast of Colombia. Its tropical climate makes it an attractive destination for those looking to escape the cold winter months. The city is known for its colorful colonial architecture, vibrant street life, and rich history. Cartagena was once a major port for Spanish galleons carrying gold and silver from the New World to Spain. Today, the city’s historic center, known as the Old Town, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the best-preserved colonial cities in South America.
Cartagena is a city full of charm and character, and there are many specific aspects of the city that contribute to this charm. Here are some examples:
- Historic Old Town: Cartagena’s Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and it’s easy to see why. The area is full of colorful, colonial-era buildings with wrought-iron balconies and flower-filled courtyards. The narrow, winding streets are perfect for exploring, and there are plenty of cafes, restaurants, and shops to discover along the way.
- Cultural richness: Cartagena is a city with a rich cultural history, and this is evident in everything from its architecture to its music and dance. The city is home to numerous museums, galleries, and performance spaces, as well as a vibrant street art scene. Whether you’re interested in traditional Colombian music or contemporary art, there’s something for everyone in Cartagena.
- Beautiful beaches: Cartagena is situated on the Caribbean coast of Colombia, which means that it’s home to some stunning beaches. Whether you’re looking for a lively beach with lots of activities and amenities, or a quiet spot to relax and unwind, you’re sure to find what you’re looking for in Cartagena.
- Friendly locals: The people of Cartagena are known for being warm, friendly, and welcoming to visitors. Whether you’re practicing your Spanish with a local vendor at the market, or striking up a conversation with a stranger at a cafe, you’re likely to feel right at home in this welcoming city.
- Lively nightlife: Cartagena is a city that knows how to have fun, and the nightlife scene is no exception. From salsa clubs to beach bars, there are plenty of options for those looking to let loose and enjoy themselves after a long day of work or exploration.
These are just a few examples of what makes Cartagena such a charming and unique city. Whether you’re a digital nomad looking for a new place to live and work, or a traveler looking to explore a new part of the world, Cartagena is definitely worth considering.
Digital nomad scene in Cartagena
Cartagena is quickly becoming a popular destination for digital nomads from around the world. As a result, the city has a growing community of remote workers who are looking to connect with like-minded individuals and take advantage of the many opportunities that the city has to offer.
One of the best ways to connect with other digital nomads in Cartagena is through local coworking spaces. While coworking spaces are still relatively limited in Cartagena, there are several options available for remote workers.
One of the most popular coworking spaces in the city is Cowork Cartagena. Located in the heart of the historic city center, Cowork Cartagena offers a bright and spacious workspace, high-speed internet, and a range of amenities designed to help remote workers be productive and comfortable.
Another popular coworking space in Cartagena is Tu Work. This global coworking network has a location in the city that offers a range of flexible workspace options, as well as regular networking events and workshops designed to help digital nomads connect with each other and build their skills.
In addition to coworking spaces, there are also a growing number of cafes and restaurants in Cartagena that are popular among digital nomads. Many of these establishments offer free wifi, comfortable seating, and a relaxed atmosphere that is perfect for working remotely.
Beyond coworking spaces and cafes, Cartagena also has a number of digital nomad meetups and events that take place throughout the year. These events are a great way to connect with other remote workers in the city, share tips and advice, and explore everything that Cartagena has to offer.
Overall, the digital nomad scene in Cartagena is still developing, but it offers plenty of opportunities for remote workers to connect with each other and enjoy all that the city has to offer. Whether you’re looking for a quiet coworking space, a lively cafe, or a fun networking event, you’re sure to find it in this vibrant Colombian city.
One of the most popular accommodation options for digital nomads in Cartagena is to rent an apartment. There are a variety of apartments available for rent, ranging from small studios to spacious three-bedroom units. Many apartments come fully furnished and include amenities such as air conditioning, Wi-Fi, and laundry facilities.
Some popular neighborhoods for digital nomads to rent apartments in include Getsemaní, El Cabrero, and Bocagrande. These areas offer a mix of affordability, convenience, and safety, as well as proximity to coworking spaces and other amenities.
Another affordable option for digital nomads is to stay in a hostel. Cartagena has a number of hostels that offer private rooms and shared dorms for budget-conscious travelers. Many hostels also have common areas, kitchens, and other amenities that are useful for digital nomads.
Where to Stay
For those who prefer a more upscale experience, there are also many hotels in Cartagena that cater to digital nomads. These hotels often offer amenities such as swimming pools, fitness centers, and business centers, as well as high-speed Wi-Fi and other tech-related services.
Some popular hotels for digital nomads in Cartagena include Hotel Boutique Casa del Coliseo, Casa Pestagua Hotel Boutique Spa, and Hotel Charleston Santa Teresa. These hotels offer a luxurious and comfortable experience, with proximity to many of the city’s top attractions and amenities.
Finally, another popular option for digital nomads in Cartagena is to use Airbnb. This service offers a variety of rental options, ranging from private rooms in shared apartments to entire homes and villas. Many Airbnb listings in Cartagena are well-equipped for digital nomads, with high-speed Wi-Fi and other amenities.
When using Airbnb in Cartagena, it’s important to research the neighborhood and read reviews carefully before booking. Some neighborhoods may be more noisy or less safe than others, and some listings may not be as well-maintained or equipped as advertised.
Overall, there are many great accommodation options for digital nomads in Cartagena, ranging from affordable hostels and apartments to luxurious hotels and Airbnb rentals. By carefully researching and selecting the right accommodation option for your needs, you can enjoy a comfortable and productive stay in this vibrant Colombian city.
Activities for digital nomads
- Explore the historic city center: Cartagena’s historic city center, also known as the Old Town, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most picturesque areas of the city. It’s a great place to wander around and soak up the atmosphere, with its colorful buildings, cobblestone streets, and beautiful plazas. Some must-see sights include the Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas, the Palacio de la Inquisición, and the Iglesia de Santo Domingo.
- Relax on the beach: Cartagena is home to some beautiful beaches, including Playa Blanca, which is just a short boat ride away. This white sand beach is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying a cold drink while taking in the views. There are also several beaches within the city itself, including Bocagrande and Castillo Grande.
- Enjoy the nightlife: Cartagena is known for its vibrant nightlife, with plenty of bars and clubs to choose from. Some popular spots include Café Havana, which has live music and a retro Cuban atmosphere, and La Movida, which is known for its electronic music and outdoor terrace.
- Take a day trip: There are plenty of interesting day trips to take from Cartagena, including a visit to the Rosario Islands, a group of small islands off the coast of Cartagena that offer great snorkeling and diving opportunities. You could also visit the nearby town of Santa Marta, which is home to the beautiful Tayrona National Park.
- Sample the local cuisine: Cartagena has a rich culinary scene, with a mix of Caribbean and Colombian influences. Some must-try dishes include ceviche, arepas, and sancocho, a hearty soup made with meat and vegetables. There are also plenty of street food vendors selling delicious snacks like empanadas and churros.
These are just a few examples of the many activities that digital nomads can enjoy in Cartagena. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, food, or nightlife, this Colombian city has something to offer for everyone.
Safety and Security
When it comes to safety, Cartagena is generally a safe city for digital nomads. However, like any destination, it’s important to take precautions to avoid potential problems.
One of the main safety concerns in Cartagena is petty theft, especially in crowded areas like tourist attractions, markets, and public transportation. To avoid being a victim of theft, it’s important to keep your belongings close and be aware of your surroundings.
In addition, it’s recommended to avoid certain neighborhoods at night, particularly those that are known for higher crime rates. It’s also advisable to take licensed taxis rather than hailing a random cab on the street.
Another safety consideration for digital nomads in Cartagena is the potential for natural disasters. Cartagena is located in a region prone to hurricanes, and during hurricane season (June to November), it’s important to monitor weather forecasts and follow any evacuation orders.
Overall, while there are some safety concerns in Cartagena, as long as you take precautions and stay aware, you can enjoy a safe and secure stay in this beautiful city.
Challenges of being a digital nomad in Cartagena
While Cartagena offers many benefits for digital nomads, there are also some challenges that come with living and working in the city. Here are some potential challenges to consider:
One of the biggest challenges for non-Spanish speakers is the language barrier. While some locals may speak English, especially in tourist areas, many do not. This can make it difficult to communicate with locals, find housing, and handle day-to-day tasks like grocery shopping and banking.
Limited coworking options
While Cartagena has a growing digital nomad community, coworking spaces are still relatively limited compared to other popular digital nomad destinations. This can make it difficult to find a dedicated workspace and network with other remote workers.
While Cartagena has decent internet infrastructure, connectivity can still be a challenge at times. Power outages are not uncommon, and internet speeds may vary depending on your location and the time of day.
Noise and distractions
Cartagena is a lively city, with a lot of noise and activity happening around the clock. This can make it difficult to focus on work, especially if you’re staying in a busy area. Additionally, depending on the location of your accommodation, you may be dealing with noise from nearby clubs or bars.
While Cartagena is known for its warm and sunny weather, it can also be quite humid and hot, which can be challenging for some people. Additionally, the city is prone to tropical storms and hurricanes during the rainy season, which can disrupt work and travel plans.
While these challenges may be significant for some digital nomads, many people find that the benefits of living and working in Cartagena outweigh these difficulties. With a little planning and flexibility, it’s possible to thrive as a digital nomad in this vibrant city.
Cartagena is a beautiful and vibrant city that offers a lot of benefits for digital nomads. With its rich history, stunning architecture, and lively culture, it’s a great place to live and work while exploring a new part of the world.
While there are some challenges to living and working in Cartagena, such as language barriers, limited coworking options, and connectivity issues, many people find that these difficulties are outweighed by the city’s many advantages.
Whether you’re interested in exploring the city’s historic sites, relaxing on its beautiful beaches, or immersing yourself in its vibrant culture, Cartagena has something to offer for every digital nomad. So why not consider this Colombian gem for your next remote work adventure?
With careful planning and preparation, you can enjoy a productive and rewarding stay in this dynamic and inspiring city. So pack your bags, book your flight, and get ready to experience all that Cartagena has to offer!
Is Cartagena safe for digital nomads?
Yes, as long as you take basic safety precautions and avoid certain neighborhoods at night, Cartagena is generally a safe city for digital nomads.
Can I find affordable housing in Cartagena?
Yes, while some areas of Cartagena can be expensive, there are also many affordable housing options available for digital nomads.
Is it easy to find coworking spaces in Cartagena?
While coworking spaces are still relatively limited in Cartagena, there are several options available for digital nomads.
What is the weather like in Cartagena?
Cartagena is known for its warm and sunny weather, but it can also be quite humid and hot, especially during the rainy season.
What are some popular activities for digital nomads in Cartagena?
Some popular activities for digital nomads in Cartagena include exploring the historic city center, relaxing on the beach, and sampling the city’s delicious cuisine.
How do I find the Whatsapp groups for digital nomads in Cartagena?
You can find all of the Whatsapp groups for digital nomads inside Nomad Grab’s app. Inside our app, you can filter by country, and city to find the active Whatsapp communities and groups for your destination city. You can also filter the groups by interest, like hiking, sports, or nightlife. It’s a remarkable tool to add to your arsenal so log in and get plugged in immediately!